Mt Ruapehu Crater Lake Guided Walk
For those who want a little more try a full day Ruapehu Guided Walk....
Mt Ruapehu is the highest (2797m), of the three active andesitic volcanoes in the Tongariro National Park. The last eruption on Mt Ruapehu was in 2007. Join us for lunch on top of the North Island highest volcano from where you can gaze down into the geothermal waters of the crater lake.
The most commonly used early summer route, when there is snow still present in the valleys, follows up the left- hand-side of the Knoll Ridge t-bar line, and continues up the valley above the last t-bar pylon. At the head of the valley climb up onto the ridge behind Glacier Knob. At this point, a narrow foot track zigzagging up the face and onto Dome Ridge may be seen. Follow along Dome Ridge to Dome Shelter.
The second unmarked route is recommended when most of the snow has disappeared. From the top of the Waterfall Express chairlift travel over to your right past pylons indicating the Knoll Ridge t-bar line and over to Restful Ridge. Stay on Restful Ridge as you climb towards the Crater area. You will go up a series of rises. The terrain is mainly rock. At the top of Restful Ridge, there is a more open face. At this point, you may see a narrow foot track zigzagging up the face and onto Dome Ridge. Follow along Dome Ridge to Dome Shelter.
Got any questions? CLICK HERE to contact us.
Accommodation Transfers: Pick up / Drop off
Tour starts and finishes at the Adrift Base: Pick up 8:00am / Drop off 5:30pm
Whakapapa Village: Pick up 8:30am / Drop off 5:30pm
Turangi: Pick up 7:15am / Drop off 5:45pm
Ohakune: Pick up 7:30am / Drop off 6:00pm
Taupo CBD: Pick up 6:30am / Drop off 6:30pm
Tour starts and finishes at the Adrift base: Pick up 7:00am / Drop off 5:30pm
Turangi: Pick up 6:40am / Drop off 6:00pm
Taupo CBD: Pick up 6:00am / Drop off 6:30pm
- All times are approximate
- Summer 1 October - 30 April, Winter 1 May - 30 September
- Pick up and drop off from Adrift base (53 Carroll St, National Park Village) is included in the price. All other transfers an additional charge applies.
- We do not offer Whakapapa Village and Ohakune accommodation transfers in winter.
- All accommodation transfers require a minimum of 2 people.
Fitness and Experience
During winter and times of snow, surface conditions will vary from day to day. Crampons and ices axes are required and your guide will provide instruction on how to use them correctly.
How To Make a Booking
Before making a booking, read all the terms & conditions
There are three ways to make a booking. Please choose the option that best suits you.
- Book on-line with the Book-it button shown on each web page. Follow the simple instructions.
- By telephone for personal service. A credit card number will be required to confirm your booking.
- By email. Please email at least 3 days prior to your trip date. A credit card number will be required to confirm your booking.
Clients will need to contact Adrift between 5:30-7:30pm the night prior to the trip departure. Adrift will then advise on weather conditions for the next day and confirm meeting places and times.